Course Open (updated 11 September at 12:00)
About Us

Pannal Golf Club, one of the premier golf clubs in the North of England, has a rich history and heritage. It was founded on 28th June 1906, on land leased from The 5th Earl of Harewood, who became Club President.

A 9-hole golf course was opened for play to golfers on 8th September 1906. It soon became evident an 18-hole golf course was required and Sandy Herd, Open Championship winner in 1902, was retained to lay out the golf course. An Exhibition Golf Match between James Braid and Harry Vardon heralded the official opening of the extended golf course on 11th April 1908. During 1933 a scheme was submitted jointly by Sir Guy Campbell and Major C A Mackenzie for alterations to the golf course to give Pannal Golf Club a true championship layout. The resulting course has stood the test of time, being able to test golfers of the highest ability to this day over its 6614 yards (Par 72 SSS 72).

The golf course was purchased from the 7th Earl of Harewood in September 1950, complete with superb views of Almscliffe Crag to the west, Crimple Valley and viaduct to the north, and the rolling plains of York to the east.Over its long history Pannal Golf Club has hosted many Professional and Amateur Championships and a full list can be viewed by clicking here. Most recently the club has been proud to host the Open Championship Regional Qualifier, Yorkshire County Championship, North of England Under 16 Amateur Championship, ELGA Northern Counties Match Week and the EGU Boys County Finals.

A more detailed history of the Club and Course is shown on the 'Our History' page (prepared by Anne Smith), which is extracted from the Centenary History Book of Pannal Golf Club 1906–2006 entitled “Minute by Minute,” written by Anne Smith, which can be purchased from the club for £10.00. Anne also provides details further below of some of the many famous people who have played the course.